You need to be very cautious when selecting a resume writing
service as anybody can put up a sign that they write resumes. In fact 1 company that secretly positions itself “#1” really sends the resumes abroad to be produced and produces very awful broken English resumes. Other companies providing resume help
deliver nothing more than a prettier format of what you have.
So here’s how the industry works and what you should look for when selecting a company to take resume writing help
1) Avoid resume writing service that say they partner with Monster, Career Builder or The Wall Street Journal. All that means is that they pay a royalty to the job boards for every sale and they are doing a very large volume of business. That means they use cookie cutter templates to produce a resume, so unless you are comfortable with that, find someone who will spend the time to understand how you are unique.
2) How does the web site look? If they cannot systematize their web site and make it look eye-catching, then they can’t do that for your resume. However, this is not the only measure to use.
3) The resume writing firm should have some credentials. The most common one is the Certified Professional Resume Writer (CPRW) designation that indicates they have at least passed some level of competency.
4) Check out their samples. If you don’t like their samples, you without doubt won’t like their work. Look to see if they are concentrating on skills and accomplishments as oppose to producing cute resumes that just list job responsibilities.
5) Do they offer a guarantee? A good service will stand behind their work and offer to revise your resume for free if it is not working. You’ll want to choose a resume writing service that stands behind their product.
6) Ask about the price. Yes, the price is important but not as important as getting a resume that works. The difference between a mediocre resume and a great one can be as little as $100 (the cost of a dinner out). This is one of the most important documents in your career, so it makes sense to spend what it takes to get a resume that you know will work.
The Internet is an amazing thing, but it has allowed anyone to offer resume writing services, regardless of their background. Use this 5-point checklist and you will be guaranteed to choose the right resume writing service for you.